Thursday, May 17, 2012

final project

Earlier, I believe I expressed a desire to expand my "Walt in pop culture" post. I thought it would be interesting to create something exemplifying this rather than research pre-existing instances. Does Whitman become misunderstood, misrepresented, used etc through this? Does it even matter?  I (with technical help, of course) recorded the last two stanzas of the death carol in Lilacs and made it into a dubstep-ish,rave-ish, electric (?) weird thing.
The night, in silence, under many a star;
The ocean shore, and the husky whispering wave, whose voice I know;
And the soul turning to thee, O vast and well-veil’d Death,
And the body gratefully nestling close to thee.
  
Over the tree-tops I float thee a song!
Over the rising and sinking waves—over the myriad fields, and the prairies wide;
Over the dense-pack’d cities all, and the teeming wharves and ways,
I float this carol with joy, with joy to thee, O Death
Anyway, here it is:

2 comments:

  1. Dayyyyyym, that sounded pretty fresh. Hanley should play this during the first day of class next time he teaches Whitman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG . . you have just officially blown my mind! I will be sharing this indiscriminately . . . wow.

    ReplyDelete